On 10 October 2006, MOST and Hubei People's Government held a consultative conference. Present at the conference were YU Zhengsheng, member of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee and Secretary of Hubei Party Committee, XU Guanhua, Minister of Science and Technology, LUO Qingquan, Governor of Hubei People's Government, SHANG Yong, Vice Minister of Science and Technology, GUO Shenglian, Vice-governor of Hubei People's Government as well as leaders from relevant departments of MOST and Hubei Province.
MOST and Hubei Province consulted with each other on the following six issues:
1. jointly boosting the development of Wuhan photoelectronic industrial base, electric vehicles, two country-level high-tech zones in Wuhan East Lake and Xiangfan;
2. jointly boosting the development and utilization of such distinctive mineral resources of Hubei Province as phosphorite and high phosphorus iron ore and such key new energy as polysilicon, solar battery, biodiesel and ethanol fuel;
3. jointly boosting the agricultural and rural technology innovation in Wuhan National Agricultural Science Park;
4. jointly boosting the prevention and cure of major infectious diseases and the study of innovative drugs in Hubei Province;
5. jointly boosting the construction of facilities and information infrastructure for science and technology so as to facilitate resource-sharing and upgrade their radiating and driving role in regional S&T and economic development;
supporting the water transfer zones on the middle route of the South-to-North Water Transfer Project and key areas of the Hanjiang river middle and lower reaches in their study and demonstration of key technologies of sustainable development.